Saturday, November 28, 2009

Televisuals: Modern Family and Cougar Town

So, I've spent the last month in Naas. I was on placement in the hospital there and living across the road in an old rather dilapidated but not uncharming Res which had cable tv (yay!) but no internet (boo). On weekdays I was confined to using my handy little meteor internet stick but when I came home on the weekend I made the best of my free unlimited 54Mbps broadband and downloaded enough tv to keep me sane.

It's probably best at this point to explain that I watch ungodly amounts of tv. Not on the actual tv, but online. Right now the weekly roster consists of 90210, Bones, Brothers&Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Glee, Gossip Girl, House, How I Met Your Mother, Mercy, One Tree Hill and Private Practice. It's astounding I ever get anything done, when you think about it. But being in Naas left me with the unpleasant dilemma of being unable to watch these as usb internet just isn't up to the job. So I decided to branch out and see what I could find. I remembered watching an episode of Dexter that happened to be on my ipod one very boring day. It seemed like a good enough show and I was 3 seasons in arrears. Excellent. Plus it turns out you can download entire seasons at a time of shows that have been around for a while. Perfect. I did that, watched all 3 seasons in a month and am now hooked. Ahhh eztv, how empty my life was before you came into it.

On the subject of tv: When I first saw the ad for Modern Family it struck me that this could be a bit of an Arrested Development substitute: the quirky character traits, the closets full of skeletons, the awkward semi-incest, the voiceover. Comedy gold. So when I got back from Naas I promptly procured all 8 episodes aired to date and had myself a bit of a marathon. It was every bit as good as I'd hoped. A little bit weird and funny as hell. Not unlike Arrested Development but toned down and more market-friendly. Sadly The Bluths were a little before their time. I mean, nowadays I don't know a single person who doesn't love their Arrested Development boxset like a first born, but at the time it can't have been so popular or the studio big wigs wouldn't have axed it. Let's hope Modern Family has a little more longevity. Also Look! It's Al Bundy, the later years




Also Cougar Town. It's not fantastic, but it's entertaining enough if you find yourself with too many hours in your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment